I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Wednesday, May 12, 2010


Honor History

I remembered her distinctly. With the hundreds of people I meet on my job, it’s unusual for one to stand out, she definitely did.

She was careful not to disclose her identity the first time she came to the office. Her questions were hypothetical. Her cynical remarks were humorous.

She visited a second time. It was clear by her questions that she was fighting to keep some sort of benefits after separating from her husband.

When she came this last time, it was obvious she had found out that, per her husband’s request, her benefits and that of her kids were not what she had hoped for.

Her cynicism and humor accompanied her again. As I was wrapping up our meeting, I asked -fearing to step too deep into personal matters “how long were you married?”

Her face soften with a sad smile:

“Ten years”

There was a pause as we exchanged a look of understanding. I wanted to say how can two people who once loved one another be “here”?

“You’d think we would honor history”

Yes, I wanted to say. The history of the love felt in a relationship should be honored and respected and not soiled with anger and nastiness.

“We are different” she said walking away.

And that is a shame.

History if nothing more should be honored.