I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Monday, May 10, 2010



Libby


I met Libby last summer when she got in touch with me via my running club. She was looking for a summer running partner while she vacationed in the County as many Orthodox Jews and Hassidic do. I asked her to join us at a group run and she promptly showed at my door. Her firm hand shake and friendly smile made a good impression.

We kept in touch after she went back home and occasionally meet for weekend runs.

This past Sunday was my turn to visit her. She took me on a 9 mile run starting in downtown Nyack but quickly merging into a quiet and affluent neighborhood with colonial architecture. Soon after we entered a trail boarding the Hudson River.

The hills were challenging and the view breathtaking. Our pace was fast as it always is when I run with her. As we entered the trail she announced that on our way back, she would walk that hill. I was okay with (and looking forward to) it.

Running with Libby I marveled at the contrast of us. She is pettit with beautiful green eyes and a light complexion adorned with freckles. She runs in a skirt over her tights and safeguards her hair in a cap while my curls are all over the place. While I eat everything in front of me, she prefers kosher food.

That’s probably as far as our differences go.

We never discuss the contrast of our backgrounds while we run instead I enjoy learning a bit about her culture and the similarities of our beliefs. Libby is a woman of faith who believes in a forgiving God who loves Orthodox the same as Christians, Catholics and every denomination in between.

She tells me about her kids and I tell her about mine while we pass some people on the trail. We discuss how running has introduced her to a new environment and given her new friends, I am glad for running too.

As she showed me the Tappan Zee Bridge from our trail path, she talked about her relationships with the important people in her life. I listened as the road took us up another hill.

“It’s just going to get gross from here” I have learned that Libby uses that word when something is “unpleasant”. We turned around and started our descent back to Starbucks.

Running back I realized I know so much yet not enough about this woman:

“Libby, do you drink?”

“Of course! Red wine like you. Myriam, we have so much in common”.

“Yes, we sure do, Libby”.