I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Tuesday, May 18, 2010



Snakes and Burps

There are a few things that really get to me and by “me” I really mean me, no one else seems to be affected. My own phobias and pet peeves. I look around and notice I am the only way feeling that way and well, that has to be okay because…that is the way I feel and there is very little I can do about it. Like a phobia, a pet peeve is some irrational (and annoying) feeling.

The other day while talking to a girl, her boyfriend approached us and showed a garden snake he had found. “The cat got it, poor thing” he said with sympathy. “Awww, is he okay?” the girl echoed with compassion. The slim and green thing stretched its body inching towards me. Neither wanting to make a scene nor wanting to start a game of “let me scare our visitor” I did the best I could to hide my fear. Snakes and things with no limbs are not my cup of tea.

But unfortunately, it does not end there. I am plagued by a bunch of pet peeves that I seem to be the only one to experience. Take for instance my coworker. The woman sneezes in such a way that it seems to wake up the dead. And while I cringe when she loudly burps, or pops her gum, everyone else seems to be okay with it.

It is my problem and as such I accept it. So I have to conceal my annoyance to avoid annoying everybody who is not annoyed.

I confidentially admit that I do know a friend who shares my anomaly. That makes two of us weirdoes. At last, I am not alone.