I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Tuesday, May 25, 2010


Three Is A Charm

She was friendly when I came to meet her. Very pregnant she sat on the door steps of her small apartment in a low income neighborhood to complete the questionnaire I handed her.
My job included finding out number of people in her household, names, ages, race and other basic information.

She answered all the questions with a soft voice while two kids in the house called her. They were small and cute, 2 and almost 4. The household consisted of the three of them.

When she was done answering my questions, I complimented the kids and asked her due date. “In a few weeks” she responded.

“You’re brave. You are going to have your hands full” I said.

“It wasn’t supposed to happen this way” she said with a smile.

Why did it then? I said to myself. I thanked her and left.

I drove off and saw her enter her house. Her age had startled me. 23 single mother.

One look at her surroundings and it was evident she struggled. She looked tired, almost worried. She leaned over to pick up toys and put them on the small porch.

I wondered why she’d allow a third “accident” if that is what her pregnancy was. After two live incidents she was aware she was fertile soil. At 23, single mother of three her future looked more dismal and the hole in which she was standing deeper than the average.

I don’t buy into the welfare check theory; the more kids they have the more money they receive. What about her dreams, does she have any? Did she give up, did she settle?

All of us must settle at some point and give up on dreams we know are no longer attainable, but at 23 I was still dreaming full force and pursuing those dreams. There was satisfaction in knowing I was able to pursue them. I wonder if she feels that way. I wonder if she will be able to reach her dreams or if she did already.