I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, August 08, 2010


900?

I always thought it ridiculous for people to use those 900 numbers so popular in the 90s, the ones where a person paid an exuberant amount of money to be able to cry to a stranger or even do other things – the sex talk lines or worse yet, confess a secret anonymously.

What can a person get out of an automated answering service that could offer no words of comfort or wisdom?

The profitable idea behind it is simply to offer an outlet to unload what a person is carrying inside and is unable to find, because of fear, loneliness or interest, a person who will listen or care..

Some of the secrets disclosed were dark ones, what a coward way to confess.

But I digress.

It is at times easier and safer to share with strangers. Impersonal, emotionally unrewarding but safe, nevertheless. I guess that is why people have kept journals, a way to lay out their feelings without being judged or shut down. Not too far from a blog, at times a very impersonal way to share.

If I went deeper into a reason besides the enjoyment of writing, I’d say that at times it is easier to post to strangers than it is to reach out to someone we know and risk being judged. I can say "I am lonely or I am sad" and I don’t see the reaction in anyone’s face. I don’t need to explain why or how. I don’t need to defend my feelings or the way I express them. I don’t know if I am being laughed at, sympathized or rejected. I simply don’t know. It is safer.

It is me, the paper or the screen. A coward way to share or a free way of expression?

I like to believe it is the freedom I seek, that in itself is rewarding.