I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Tuesday, September 21, 2010


Perception


A coworker having marital problems once received flowers from her husband. The card read “Everything will be okay”. She looked at me and said “He is blaming me; he is saying that it is my fault”.

I was baffled. I couldn’t understand how a sentence that to me meant support and encouragement could mean something so totally different to her. But she was full of anger and everything she saw was negative.

Our reality is so circumstantial it’s scary. What we see today is nothing but our perception of events shaded by what we are feeling. Whether we like something today we might have hated yesterday, whether a play is sarcastic, funny or hurtful, whether someone is concerned or nosy, it all depends on the color glasses we choose to look at it.

Perception is not based on facts, it is based on feelings. And unfortunately, so much depends on the perception with which we see the world. What we see, read, hear and how we react, how we appreciate, how we live, is influenced by our perception.

We are in control of how we perceive the world. When we allow fear, hate, anger, and any and all negative emotions to fill our heart, the world in which we live is nothing but a dark and lonely place.