I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010


Perspective

When I picked up my kids from school often I would get stuck behind a school bus. Of all its stops one puzzled me; a dozen kids being dropped off at a motel.

I would wonder and still do how a family can live in one room. This was not Renaissance Inn by Marriot; this was a low budget local motel with crumble paint and uneven sidewalks.

Apparently, families live there. Some maybe because the “System” had housed them in a motel and some because they can never save enough for a security deposit for an apartment. Regardless the reasons, I wondered and still do how a mother, father and one or two kids live in those conditions. Cooking, homework and even intimate life all in one room.
The kids looked like all the other kids dropped off at different locations, laughing, loud, and playful. The reason for that is simple, that is all they knew, they didn’t know what they were missing or what others had because they had never had it.
Life is also a matter of perspective; we must know what's high to realize what is low.

The kids in that motel were like any other kids. Some had good parents; some had lousy parents no different than the kids in the neighborhoods with in ground pools and acres of land. They did their homework or not and were picked up the next day for another school day.

I used to be told when I was little and didn’t want to eat my meal “think of the kids starving in Africa” but I couldn’t, I had never starved, I didn’t know what was to be grateful to have food because I always had food. I didn’t know what the starving kids felt nor did they know what it was to have enough food to be able to refuse it. Life, commodities, comfort, is all circumstantial. We do what we do with what we have and no more and no less than if we had more because we don’t know what it is like to have more….or less.

We must know what’s high to appreciate what’s low. It’s a matter of perspective.