I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Saturday, December 25, 2010


A Christmas Run

The day was inviting when I finally left my house. A slight breeze and mild temperatures. Mild means above freezing in this time of the year.

My run was uneventful and slow. I turned around a corner and smelled the burnt wood coming from a chimney. A man loading something in his truck looked at me until I disappeared in the distance. He probably wondered what is a woman doing running alone in the afternoon of Christmas Day or maybe he was looking at my outfit, black pants, long sleeve t-shirt that hung longer than my blue jacket, green headband and a red nose (well, not really). I’m sure I looked like a running clown.

The houses were quiet. On occasional dog barked. A thin sheet of snow sat on the lawns. There was not a soul on the roads where I ran. Only a handful of cars passed.

I ran and took the walk breaks my laziness demanded. It felt peaceful. I wondered then why it was peaceful today and other days when I find myself being the only human on these empty roads, it feels lonely, and at times even scary. I deducted that it must be my own projection. When I run empty, when I am lonely, the roads reflect my perception, like a mirror.

Life is but what we see in it I guess and today I chose to see peace and tranquility.

I don’t know what tomorrow will bring, but for now, I am content with today.