I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, January 16, 2011


Saving Graces


One dangerous thing in buying a book is having set expectations about it. It is the same as when I really want to eat something so badly I can taste it and when I get to the restaurant or make it myself (that’s a recipe for disappointment), it is not what I had in mind.

I bought Saving Graces by Elizabeth Edwards based on the title and the cover description “Finding solace and strength from friends and strangers”. It seemed inspirational; a mother’s worst nightmare, outliving her child, and the story of a woman’s battle against a disease that would eventually take her life.

It was none.

What I didn’t know is that I was going to read a description of events detailing what car she first drove, the dress she bought, and a million names of people I don’t care to know. There are a few interesting lines and quotes, but the point of her story – if she had one – gets lost in her wordy style. This book is a memoir not a story of hope and strength as I expected; it is a recount in close detail of every single thing Edwards did. Frankly, I don’t care to know what classes she took in elementary school or the name of her classmates in foreign countries, or what plane her father flew. It does nothing for the story.

Elizabeth was probably a very interesting person of enjoyable conversation, but her book failed dramatically to convey the message the cover implies.

“Brevity is the soul of wit” is something she did not keep in mind when she wrote this book.
It was a disappointment.