I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, January 02, 2011


A Year In Review

Last year, when I wrote a year from my desk, I recalled having a hard time remembering the year. This time was no different.

We have a tendency to remember the “instant replay”; the last few weeks or days which distorts the true appreciation of the whole year.

Nevertheless this year, because it has been steadier, seems to be easier to recount.

I can summarize it with “steadiness”. My job – or need for one – found steadiness with the opportunity for a new one and I seized it. A new job I hope I will enjoy more.

It was a year that, unlike last year, did not have the very high highs and the very low lows of 2009. It was a slower progression to an incline, a slow surfacing from the deeps of what could have been a depression to a clearer sky. Perhaps not a total high, but an incline from what it had been and to what it should and hopefully will be. There were no deep lows with desperate drowning attempts to come back up, for that I am grateful.

A year when I reinforced relationships. A year when I reconnected with old ones. A connection to a former relationship always validates the reason why we connected in the first time.

A year when our family lost a very important figure; the person who helped raise me passed away at the end of 2009, and during part of 2010 was difficult to get used to her absence.

A year when my endurance was built (and lost) again, and I successfully completed two marathons plus I engaged in a crossfit nightmare of exercise that left me every day hurting and exhausted, but loving every minute.

A year when I made major changes in my running club connection which makes me appreciate them and they appreciate me.

A year when I sat in front of the ocean enjoying my present and felt its breeze teasing me with every scent and sound it threw my way –something I have not done in a while. Laughing in the waves and resting on the sand.

A year where I regained dignity and found the meaning of self respect again.

A year that made me appreciate what I have. Happy that I am healthy. Appreciative of the ones who chose to go along for the long haul and grateful for the ones that passed by.

A year that makes me look forward to a new one; a year like I have not had in a while.