I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Monday, April 25, 2011



Humiliation

I only dated him for a short while.  He was tall, tanned and handsome, and he knew it well. He often talked about the women who had wanted to “capture” him.  The ones who would haved given anything to procreate with him. I never let him get close enough for that to be a risk. Nevertheless, we dated and pretended we were serious about each other.

He came with me to a party at one of my relatives.  I remember thinking on our way there that it was only a matter of time before we stopped seeing each other.  Little did I know the time was that night.

While at the party I introduced him to the people I knew.  One woman parked herself next to us and engaged in a conversation. I walked away hopping from group to group as I always do.  I paid no attention that song after song they danced together.  Why would I worry? He was my date and she was a friend, an acquaintance.

He never called again after that night.

It didn’t bother me that our relationship ended for it was on its way before that night. But it bothered me the way that it did.  The lack of respect on both parties and the humiliation I felt when friends and relatives mentioned that he had chosen somebody else in front of my nose.

The man was handsome and in spite of his arrogance had many qualities, but discretion was not one of them.
I never missed the looks nor the qualities, I would have appreciated some respect, however. 

One can’t get blood out of a rock and some can’t give what they don’t possess.