I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Monday, May 30, 2011

Freedom To Express the Dream.

Thoughts of what could be an essay come often, but if I don’t get to write it down, even if I repeat it in my head a few times, it disappears.

Writing is like dreaming.  A dream has to be remembered right away or it gets lost in the hours of the day leaving only a feel behind that can not be captured in words.

Dreamers are allowed to dream of anything. The wildest, most irrational, and outrageous of dreams are normal; strange, but normal and are seldom questioned. Writing does not always share the same favor.

I find myself sometimes guilty of assuming that what I read must always mirror the lives of the authors.  

“Everything Okay?” I ask my friend, an experienced published writer who writes about a large variety of topics. “Yes, why do you ask?”

I ask because I am making assumptions that I shouldn’t make. Dreams are not questioned; I should not question their writing. If writing always mirrored their current lives, it would be limited and predictable, and it would lose my interest quickly.  I like diversity and I seek that in the writers I choose to read.

Assumptions and expectations can not stop nor change dreams, but they can curtail freedom of expression in a writer. Not all dreams are worth telling; not all ideas are worth writing, but neither should be questioned.