I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Missing 

I could never figure out why my kids wanted me home when they spent their day in their room.

There were times when I took a few days off to be with them during their vacation, only to find myself alone while they played on line with friends, or went to each other’s house or stayed on the phone for hours never noticing I was home.

I don’t remember how it was when I was a kid, but I probably spent my day in the backyard playing with sticks and building something or trying to burn something -a bit of an arsonist I was - while my mother was inside. I probably cried when she went out, if she did.

It is difficult to understand that knowing a person we love is around is enough. Their presence does not have to be “present”, it is the knowledge that they are that matters and when they are not, their void is felt as if an important part has been removed...because it has. 

It is not necessary to have someone next to us to love them. Simply knowing they exist is enough.