I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Gradual 

The days approaching the summer solstice are some of my favorite times of the year if not my very favorite.  The days get longer. I enjoy noticing the hours of light extending a minute a day. It is the prelude of something good happening.  The snow has melted, the grass gets greener, the flowers blossom. It all seems to revive from a dead sleep.

It happens slowly, one minute at a time going from darkness roughly at 4:28 p.m. to daylight until 8:30 p.m. So gradual it is hardly noticed.  I enjoy the steady, but slow progression of daylight. I enjoy looking back and noticing how far it has come, how much it has changed before my eyes and how long it has taken me to realize we are no longer in darkness.

Coming out of the darkness is like chopping a tree down. Ax after ax it doesn’t yield an inch, then suddenly it falls.

Changes do not happen over night. It takes time and consistency, like the ax on the tree. Like the hours of daylight.