I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Reconnecting


There is a thrill about reconnecting with old friends. Anticipating the changes while hoping they remain the same. Hoping they can see all our improvements in our present and that they’ll still find much of the good they remember from the past.

I found a friend yesterday I have not seen in over 20 years. I know nothing of what her life has been nor she of mine. We know nothing of what has happened in the past two decades. To her, I am still a sedentary person, not much into exercising.  That’s going to be a surprise to her.

We were good friends, really good friends. Probably as close to a best friend as I had in the first half of my life.

Our friendship was never wounded while we were in contact, but somehow we fell out of touch when we both moved out of state.

There is an advantage in remembering someone who left all good memories.  But there is also the expectation of wanting the same.

I have the tendency to want to bring back things to the way they were. Always unsuccessfully I have attempted to recreate what it was. At times, my pursuit has resulted in a new relationship enhanced by our history, at times the result has been the realization that we have grown so far apart we could never keep the slightest contact. It has never been what it was; it has never been the same.

It can not be the same.

I am going to meet with her this week. I am thrilled, excited. Hopeful. Hopeful that our encounter will bring back what once connected us, but aware it might not. If it doesn’t we still have all the good we remember.

There is an advantage of having good memories; we can always go back to them, if nothing more.