I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Forever Young

Typically I was always friends with people older than I by at least a decade.  As I have gotten older that pool of older people – older than I – have decreased and now I also have younger friends who, like me back then, enjoy the company of someone more “seasoned”.

Because my behavioral age has not equated my chronological age, on a one to one basis, I fail to see the difference between us and because thankfully there is no mirror to evaluate my reflection against theirs, I do not see my age marks or lines.
When in groups that appreciation changes and I see the differences distinctively;  their friends’ manners or lack of make me cringe every time I find myself surrounded by their youth. What I would only dare do in the privacy of my bathroom - provided there is no one in the house - seems to be celebrated amongst the youngsters.  “Must you?” I dare ask.  

I easily blame the difference in (dis)taste or upbringing in our marked abyss in age, and then when I’m surrounded by those my age, I find myself also cringing from time to time, but this time not finding a reason to blame it on.

Youth, divine treasure.