I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Go For It

When I worked at a computer lab designed to assist low income people, one of the frequent visitors was a man in his early 40s. He was well spoken, showed signs of education, and looked totally broke in his ragged clothes and long hair.

He would entertain small conversations with me. Occasionally I would drive him to his apartment when I saw him walking carrying bags. One day he brought his portfolio with him. He was a physician assistant and had other diplomas. Had gotten into a relationship that had ended badly and he had gone the wrong way to the point of losing it all.

Every day this man came and got on the computer and wrote for hours. He wanted to create a visitor’s guide for his town. He attempted to create a newspaper. He sent emails. He registered on many programs.

Two years later in a new job while taking the train to Hoboken I ran into him. He was groomed and wore a nurse/physician assistant uniform. He told me he was studying in the City and the grant he got received was paying for the apartment – a nice complex I new,  a car and his transport on Metro North.

I learned something valuable from that man. While on the train he shared "whatever it is that is out there and you want it, apply for it, fill out the application no matter how long you’ll have to wait because that time will pass and one day you will collect.

My friend, while you wait follow any dream regardless of how far away it seems. That time will come.