I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Monday, August 15, 2011

The Storm
Within minutes on the highway the sky darkened and the wind blew with unprecedented fury in one of the biggest storms of the season.
The traffic came to a stop as the heavy rain made driving nearly impossible.  45 minutes between exits I realized I’d never make it to my destination on time.
Change of plans and location.
Using my umbrella as a shield to safeguard me from the horizontal rain, I ran to the restaurant’s entrance.  A woman sitting at the small outdoors bar with her brother waived her hand and yelled "come sit here and enjoy the rain”.
We laughed and agreed.
The rain kept falling with extraordinary impetus and the sound of the drops on the roof grew so loud during the heavy downpours that it blocked our laughter.
Then it stopped and a gorgeous rainbow split the sky in a perfect curve.  People from the restaurant walked outside to capture the rainbow in their phones. 
I didn’t have to. I had been there the whole time, from beginning to end or better yet, from end to beginning.
Sometimes a picture perfect moment comes out of nowhere and it is nice to have front seats to witness it.