I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Friday, September 16, 2011

On Trusting

When at 11 I gave my daughter a cell phone before they were popular in kids her age, my coworkers gave me a disapproving look. When at 15, the earliest the bank allowed it, I gave both of my kids a credit card, their eyebrows raised even higher.
“You will be sorry” they predicted.

I never was and I never thought I would be.

They never took advantage of the phone nor the credit cards. On the contrary, they learned discipline and respect while giving me peace of mind by knowing that they always had money albeit plastic in their pockets. I knew they would never betray my trust.
I am a firm believer that restriction fosters defiance.  Mistrust entices rebellion.  The more we are restrained, the more we crave freedom.  The more we feel we must climb the fence of oppression.
I find mistrust offensive. I have resented restriction and in many ways I have defied it. 
Mistrust stifles desires, curtails creativity, limits progress.           
I believe that trust reaps trust.  Not every time? Maybe, but in my book it does.
Freedom is, among other things, to breathe without the fear of suspicion.  To act freely without having to lie and hide, it is having the opportunity to be honest.

My kids never needed to lie or hide;  at least not about a credit card or a phone and I hope they won’t have the need to lie about anything else.
I give them trust and…I harvest trust…so far and I am sure, always.