I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Monday, December 05, 2011

Moosing

I browsed lazily the chocolate store with no intention of purchasing anything. Nothing called my attention until I saw the sign “Do not touch the Moose”. Oh God, how I wanted to touch that chocolate Moose I had not noticed before!


I had seen many on our way. Moose on roofs of shops; on signs; on country stores; definitely a popular figure on the moosefest town, but only that one with the sign made me want to touch it. What if it falls? I thought, what if I get yelled at in the middle of that crowded store...I didn’t want to risk it so I refrained.

I am not sure if it’s in my personality or in everybody’s. That which is forbidden or taken away becomes so desirable. And so I wanted it. I wanted that Moose.

Diets didn’t work for me because they enticed me to want what I was not allowed to have.

I wonder if that is why I – we – struggle with rejection. Not to take away from the feelings and affection to the item that rejects, but if it wasn’t for the rejection I wonder if we – I –would struggle so much with it.

I have gradually and willingly outgrown many desires and many feelings, and I have struggled badly with others that have been forced on me, or forbidden from me or in other cases, rejected by them.

Not to take away from the beauty and creativity of the chocolate Moose, but without the sign I would not have noticed its existence and if I had, I would have outgrown quite rapidly any desire to feel it and eat it.