I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Thursday, April 05, 2012

Clandestine
I saw them in the distance my pace faster than theirs I soon caught up to them.  Good to find other runners on this isolated trail 1 ½ hours from home, I told myself.
I was on my way to pick up my daughter from camp and in need of 20 miles for training I had stopped at this unknown trail. I was relieved to see the couple in front of me.
I stayed behind them for a few minutes until my pace got me past them.  Good morning! I said. “Hi, M. the man replied.  We looked at each other uncomfortable.  I knew this man.
A runner runs with anybody, I told myself.  A runner goes anywhere to run with….any friends.
Just as quickly he took a path to the left and disappeared with his companion.
I kept running questioning myself in the remaining miles.  Why did the encounter seem so clandestine when running does not care about marital status?
I felt ashame of myself.  What were the chances of meeting on this isolated, unknown trail far from home?  Slim. What were the chances of being judged by a peer? Large.