I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Monday, April 09, 2012

Firmness

I lack firmness. Yes, I can snap at a person at the drop of a hat, but I have a hard time keeping that attitude up even when I know that I am right, as rarely as that may be. 

Take for instance my race. A great cause. Cancer patients who are completely destitute are helped with the proceeds.  Proceeds come from corporate sponsors and pledges collected by runners. On race day people volunteer and participants’ families hang out waiting for their loved us to finish the race and while they wait many offer their assistance. When the runners finish they are welcome to partake in a post-race lunch donated by the Outback Steakhouse.  

Out of the crowd there is always a family or two that show up for “dinner”. They are not there to support the runner, they are not there to volunteer, they did not do anything for the race, and they are there to eat good free good and more. Chicken, steak, beer, yogurt. And when the sign, as it did this year, goes up “suggested donation $5 for non-participants” they look at me and say “does my wife and my three nephews have to pay?”

Hell Yeah!

They walk away looking disappointed and do I dare say upset that such inconvenience and unfair request is made.

So I go after them and say “that’s okay, you don’t have to pay”.

Why not??? Why not pay?

Why not remain firm and tell them to go to McDonalds if they are hungry and see what they can get for $5.

But I don’t.

My firmness vanishes after that initial snapping moment.

I do remain firmly pissed off, though.