I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Jobs


I still remember the times when jobs came to me. I did not look for them. I could quit one and have another the next day, that afternoon. One person would tell me about a job, I would call and get it.  I don't think it was my looks nor skills, I had little of each. What it was instead was low competition if any and low paying jobs.  I was young; a job above minimun wage paid all my expenses. I had no student loans, no mortgage, home insurance nor any health issues.  None of those little drainers that keep creeping on with time and age.

Things are different now. Jobs are scarce. I can no longer accept a low paying job to match my increasing bills. I can no longer afford to quit a job and look for another and to have another I must try really hard, compete with others younger, with the same skills and in some cases better. I must relay on my personality to offset the score, my humor  and in some cases, a little prayer. I must go to a job, not wait for it to come to me and I must go to one, two, many before I get one.

Times have changed, our economy has changed. We are lucky to still have a job.