I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Laughter, The Best Medicine


Laughter is the best medicine

I visited a friend who attempted to commit suicide in the psychiatric unit of the local hospital. A mutual friend went with me.
After the initial pleasantries, we sat there in silence. She looked awful, no other way to describe it.  My friend brought up the subject of her attempt. While the two of them talked about how many pills and what went on before she was brought into the hospital, I sat there looking at her.  She looked at me and asked what was on my mind.

I said “you were checking out without paying your club membership dues?”
She laughed and said she already paid them. I replied: “In any event, even if you paid, my membership roster will decrease in numbers and that is a bad reflection on me.  Besides, if you ‘check out’ you won’t run Celebrate Life Half marathon next year and then I am going to look like I am losing attendance.  It will be a bad reflection on me as a race director”.
She kept looking at me with a constant smile.  I went on.
Nice socks, “you think you can get me a pair?  I would take those but I am not sure you showered yet.”
She laughed.

“Did you hit on any doctors or nurses?”
Her laughter was now audible.
“Listen, before you ‘check out’ you need to check with me, I have a shit load of stuff I need help with and now it’s not a good time to lose free helpers.”
She kept laughing.
My other friend kept looking at me and a few times said “Oh my God, I can’t believe you’re saying this stuff to her!”
The nurse in the back looked at me and smiled.
We were then reminded the visit was ending.  
I hugged my friend, remind her of our love and support.  As I was walking away I heard:
“Wait! Excuse me (to the nurse), do you have any socks like this?”
I laughed then.
“No, that’s okay, they don’t match my outfit, besides it’s raining out”.
More laughter.