I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Monday, August 27, 2012

Limits and Limitations


There are limits and limitations important in any relationship whether strong and long term or light and casual.  

Limits are things a person cannot stand another doing to them. I am not referring to pet peeves, I am talking about crossing that line, pushing a person over the limit. That limit is personal; it’s your own fine line. No one has to agree with it, it may be irrational to others to end a relationship because that limit was crossed, no one has to understand it they simply have to respect it. It is not a secret pulled out of a hat, the person in the relationship is well aware of that line they cannot cross.  

Limitations are those things a person will not do in a relationship.  It may be something you choose not to do out of respect for the other person, or it may be out of respect for yourself. I would never have an intimate relationship with a friend’s significant other, never! That is a limitation for me. I will never go that far.  

Your limitation might be the other person’s limit. Your limit is that person’s limitation.  

I know my limitations when I enter a relationship, I accept the other person’s limits and put my limit right in the open and on the table so there is no mistake.   

I have ended important and trivial relationships because my limit was not respected and I have had no regrets in doing it. The only regret would be to allow someone to disregard what’s important to me and disrespect me in the process. I would be disrespecting myself by condoling it.  

The strangest combinations of people can come together in a relationship: social status, education, creed, hobbies, it all enhances and beautifies.  All of it is possible only when we respect a person’s limit and when we are aware of our limitations.