I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Peace of Mind and Heart


Forced by my position in the Board of Directors of Hospice I sold a few raffle tickets to people I know.  In selling one of them, I asked my friend during our run if she would be interested in purchasing the raffle ticket with me more as a donation than a chance to win. She agreed.  

I sent two follow up emails reminding her of payment and she quickly replied she was getting the money and would be getting it to me soon.  I fronted the money and the day after the winning tickets were selected I sent another email to my friend reminding her of the amount due and telling her that we had lost. She replied that she had the money in spite of our loss. I knew she did.  

Two days later I was informed by the committee that my ticket was one of the ones selected.  I had won one of the prizes.  

I immediately called my friend and informed her of the news. She was overwhelmed with happiness.  

A few days later while running, she looked at me and said, “you didn’t have to tell me, I didn't even pay. You could have kept the winning to yourself.” 

I knew she was right, but it had not crossed my mind.  How would I sleep? I replied.  When it’s me and the night, me and God, how do I find peace? 

That is the part I have always struggled in understanding people who do wrong onto others.  How do they sleep at night? 

When you know you’ve done wrong, when you are aware of harming others, how does one sleep at night? 

We can justify our actions all we want, we can convince the universe of our reasons, but we know, we know what we are doing.  

How do we sleep at night? 

I could have had a lot more dollars in my pocket, but by doing the right thing, I had a lot of peace in my heart.