I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Finding Flaw


I remember when my son found out I had an accent. He was doing his homework forming sentences using certain adjectives. I don’t remember exactly what the homework was or why I butted in to help. I offered a complete simple sentence “I am wearing clean sucks”. 
 
“Socks” he replied.

“Yes, that’s what I said.”

He smiled and pointed to his socks and said “this, Mama”.

“Yes, that.  Sucks”. 

Sitting at his Toys R Us desk he smiled in a kind way  recognizing for the first time “here is something Mama can’t do”.  There was no mocking, there was no sympathy, there was nothing other than his love for me and his understanding.  

When I remember that moment, I realize children do not see any flaws, as prominent as they may be, in the ones they love. They love freely, unconventionally, and yes, unconditionally. Somewhere along the way, that freedom to love gets lost and we become judgmental and demanding.  

Tonight I remember that moment as I correct my totally bilingual 22 year old in his Spanish as Second Language. I look at him in the same way he looked at me some 18 years ago, with unconditional unconventional love. Totally free.