I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Telling A Story


A typical conversation with Dianne, my long time coworker, would go like this, “Joe didn’t sold the house finally”

Who’s Joe?

“Karen’s son, married to Denise”.

Who is Karen? Do I know Denise?

“Karen is Mike’s wife.” 

And on and on it went. It didn’t take us long to realize Dianne was telling a story with a luxury of details and it did not matter to her who listened, understood or even paid attention. After a while we would let her talk,  tune off, and 15 minutes later tune back in and she would still be talking about Joe, Jim, Marie, or Carmen. Totally one sided conversation. Dianne did not bother engaging anyone. 

Annoying at first, I now think Dianne had the right idea, say what you want to say and don’t worry about who is listening or who even cares.  

On the other hand, are you easily disturbed when talking to a person, that person is clearly not engaged in the conversation and might in the middle of your sentence walk away or interrupt you never to go back to your story? That happens, not everyone is equipped with the skill to listen. 

Why is that important to some? I am one of those. I want to engage the person I am talking to. Likewise, I find it difficult to follow a conversation when I don’t know or understand the roles or players in the story. Now, I go back to Dianne and think that if a story is to be told, it does not matter who pays attention.  Cast it to the wind.  

Maybe that’s why some of us write, to tell story and it does not matter who reads it and sometimes who understands it. A writer has that right and that sense of ownership in their words. Write it because you can. One of the essays in the book that is about to be published, was questioned by the editor as not making sense. It made sense to me and as such I left it intact. It was my story, and like Dianne’s, tune off for 15 minutes and then come back to it.  Hopefully, if you read it, you won’t have to ask who’s Mary, Joe, Karen, or Carmen or maybe you won’t care.