I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, December 16, 2012

A Gift


When the one manager with whom I didn’t get along angrily stated “you get people to do anything for you”, I didn’t understand what she could have against that asset, except that she was unable to get the same from people.  

I remember that afternoon in the manager’s office the other day when I went to pick up the latest shipment of books from the post office. I was late, but the Post Master waited for me and carried them to my car. She had done that once before.  That day she came to the Post Office half hour earlier so she could have the package ready for me in time for an early book signing I was doing.  

Acts of kindness like that and others like the photographer of Celebrate Life Half Marathon who offered to take my book cover picture at no change are a gift in a person’s life. What makes someone the recipient of that gift? 

I don’t know… 

Humor? Chitchat? I think it’s more than that, but I can’t put my finger on it.  

Those who know me know I can handle being a bitch quite well and that it’s not all humor and laughs when I’m under stress.  I have no patience to wait for things that were supposed to be done when they were supposed to be done and I don’t have a problem telling those who offered to get the work done and didn’t how I feel about it. Still they will come back to help me again.  

I have worked with people whom those who ”do anything for me” cannot tolerate and will refuse to do anything for or even work with them.  On the other hand, I have become good friends with my vendors, my own participants, my bosses (after I have left the job) one of them being now my really good friend who will not tolerate anyone defaming me, and even my race photographer! 

It is the combination of humor, chitchat, of stopping a few minutes to ask how that person is doing, and honesty, maybe that’s what my former boss lacked.  

Whatever it is, it’s a gift I am given and one I appreciate even if I don’t quite understand it.