I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Purging


Today I did some cleaning of old files. That included purging emails and files I no longer need. Once I get into that mood there is no stopping me. I move from the computer to drawers, boxes, and the garbage can gets a good dumping.  

I came across emails, cards, letters, and pictures I had saved, some because I put them away for the moment and others because I wanted to save them forever. What I found amusing was the fact that there was no feeling associated with any of the items I disposed of.  There were pictures and cards I wrinkled in my hand without even bothering to read again or look at the picture to remember the time, place, or people in it.  

Some of the memorabilia that is now in the garbage had been part of the “I’ll always treasure this” moment of my life. It proves to me once again that forever has an end date.  

An end date is a good thing, and a bad thing, I guess. For me, in what I eliminated today there were no memories worth remembering. What I purged had become clutter not worth keeping. Having come to the end of that “forever” is a good thing.  

I need to make room for new memories, perhaps more lasting ones although they might not last forever.