I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Friday, November 01, 2013

The Lessons.

In the few weeks since her diagnosis of Diabetes Type I insulin dependent I have learned the simplest of lessons from my 20 year old. I have learned the true meaning of conformity, resilience and adjustment.  It might be her strong faith in God that allows her to look forward without taking a second to look back to feel sorry for herself.  While I ran out of her hospital bed to hide the tears forming in my eyes when the nurses pinched her arms to hook another IV or her fingers every couple of hours to evaluate her sugar, she smiled broadly answering every question from the medical team. Her smile remained intact learning to use the injections that will be her companion for a very long time.  While I question the unfairness of her situation, she looks ahead and learns to deal with it.  

I have questioned often what I have taught my kids, if enough. I am learning that there are things innate in them for which I cannot take credit. Her courage and her faith come from within, it is found in her, not because of me, nor in spite of, but because that is who she is.  Brave, honest, strong. Her own woman. 

After days watching her in the hospital she asked me to go home, sleep, and shower, please.  There, that’s one thing she learned from me, her wit or…sarcasm. Finally, I can take credit for something of what makes up this wonderful human being, my kid, my daughter.