I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Sunday, January 10, 2016

A Narcissistic Society


“I’m not going to make it on time. I’m sorry”


“That’s okay, I have a few things to do. I’ll wait for you”

My friend laughed in disbelief.  “Why is she doing that for us???”

I searched for a quick answer to explain why people go out of their way at times, but couldn't come up with anything.
The truth is, I don’t know. I often wonder what makes a person remember someone with no more than brief encounters and quick words separated at times by months of absence. I can only surmise that in a world of demands and impersonal exchanges showing a person respect and appreciation for their efforts is a rarity that is noticed and welcome. 

It’s the smile to the man in the parking lot who collects the supermarket carts, it’s thanking a Dunkin Donuts person for making a good cup of coffee on a cold Christmas morning. It’s acknowledging a waiter for fixing my order. It’s accepting that it’s not their fault it was not perfect the first time around.  It is taking the time to acknowledge people who are doing a job with dignity regardless of status or pay and it deserves every little bit of admiration.

It is those small tokens of appreciation that, in a society that takes everything for granted, stand out.
We are living in a privileged society where people with an inflated sense of their importance and abilities degrade others. In this narcissistic society the sense of entitlement opaques service and gratitude as we rush through life, demanding and expecting what we feel entitled to receive, and in doing so we have lost the sensitivity to the feelings of others. We, as a society, are lacking empathy. 

It's important to treat others with dignity and respect. Slow down and appreciate people for what they are. Remember that our place in society, a club, or a group is circumstantial. Be kind.

Treating people with respect should not be an exception, it should be the norm. Give what you want to receive. Otherwise we’ll end up in a lonely and cold world.