I write about my life and life itself seen through my eyes for who can write through the experiences of others if not their own?

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The Ring


I see it on their finger as they pass by me. It’s visible when they hold their drink. I don’t think anything of it, but I notice it. It’s obvious.
They are married and not afraid to tell the world.
I like seeing it. I would have liked to see it in the finger of the man to whom I gave a ring during our wedding vows.
Maybe it was too much to ask? Maybe it was too much to wear?
Maybe it didn’t matter.  I wore mine. I was the only one who did in that relationship.
I could have used a reason why it was never worn, a lie perhaps. I could have done without the mocking in front of friends and the outright “I don’t want to”
Funny how simple things dig so deep in our soul.
So deep one day we take our own ring off and walk away.